Updated: Sep 29, 2020
I love sweet potatoes and I am also a big fan of Mexican food. Fortunately for me this recipe combines 2 of my favorites in a delicious and healthy way, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Taquitos!
Not only are these taquitos full of fresh flavor, they take only about 30 minutes to create, which means I can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the meal! This dish offers a nice balance of complex carbs, lean protein, healthy fats and a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. If you are looking for a healthy dish you can feel good about indulging in often, this just might be your new favorite!
9 corn tortillas (I like to use an organic yellow corn)
1 medium to large sweet potato, mashed
1- 15oz can low sodium black beans, rinsed
1- 15oz can yellow corn (no salt added)
1/4 C red onion, diced
1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (or use 3/4 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 C shredded low fat Mexican cheese blend (optional)
Salsa or pico de gallo for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Peel and slice sweet potato into chunks and boil with water in a medium size pot on high until potato is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
3. Remove pot from heat and drain water to mash potatoes with a hand mixer.
4. Once potatoes are mashed, stir in the cinnamon by hand and mix well.
5. Next combine rinsed black beans, corn, red onion, cilantro and cumin and fold in a medium sized bowl.
6. Fold the bean and corn mixture into the mashed sweet potatoes and gently stir until well combined.
7. Warm one corn tortilla at a time in the microwave on medium high heat approximately 15 seconds (it will make them easier to roll up without tearing).
8. Spoon 1/3 C sweet potato mixture onto each tortilla, then sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese along the top (optional) before rolling the tortilla up tight.
9. Place each taquito seam side down on the baking sheet and place the full tray in the oven to bake for 12 - 15 minutes (flip halfway through to crisp the taquito evenly).
10. Remove baking sheet from the oven and top with your favorite fresh salsa or pico de gallo before serving.
Eat and Enjoy!